Monday, November 22, 2010

Choc-o-late chip COOKIES

I would guess that among controversial recipes the chocolate chip cookie has to rank pretty high.  It is after all the quintessential cookie, the cream of the crop, the CLASSIC.  And any time you're dealing with a classic there's going to be strong passionate opinions on what is best.  Do you like soft and gooey or crisp and crunchy?  Milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet, dark or (gasp!) flickettes?  Nuts or no nuts?  I've probably forgotten some variation but you get the point.
Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite in the cookie world.  I prefer semi-sweet, soft and gooey, no nuts.  I grew up with my mom's recipe which is still one of the best.  But since I like the quest for the best I've played around with the classic and tried some different recipes in my search for perfection.  The latest recipe that I'm finding oh so delicious was found on one of my favorite blogs http://www.todaysletters.com/ Today's Letters.  I made these Friday night and again they didn't disappoint.  To me they are a perfect mix of soft and chewy, sweet and chocolaty.  The only part of the recipe I've played around with is the Crisco because I like real butter better.  Last time I made these I did half shortening and half butter and they turned out awesome!

Ingredients: 1 cup butter flavored Crisco/ or 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter OR all butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups flour
1 12 oz pkg of semi-sweet chocolate chips (sometimes I only use 80% of the bag)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°
1. In a large bowl with a wooden spoon (no hand mixers allowed), cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. This can take about 3-4 min to do).
2. Stir in the eggs.
3. Add & mix well the vanilla, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add & mix in the flour.
5. Stir in chocolate chips (I usually use a little less than one bag)

Form large spoonfuls (about the size of a golf ball) onto an ungreased (light, not dark colored) cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 min. They should still look slightly raw when you take them out of the oven. If the tops are kind of brown you know they're done. I always let them finish cooking on the baking sheet for a minute or two before transferring them onto a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Anyone else have a fantastic cookie recipe they want to share?  I'd love to hear them!  In the meantime have a Marvelous Monday!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I've yet to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe I'm completely satisfied with. This one looks awesome! Also~ you ARE awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay - you figured out how to comment:)

    ReplyDelete