Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dirty Angel Wings



Painting by Amanda Blake

Every summer I make it a point to attend our local art fair held in a wooded park near the center of town.  Taking in all the lovely art helps me feel like Salem does have a bit of culture - even though most days it's hard to find.  Usually I find a few artists that I particularly love and would buy a piece from were it in my humble means to do so. 
About three years ago I came across an artist from Portland named Amanda Blake.  I was instantly drawn to her paintings.  Most all of them feature people dressed in clothing out of the 30's 40's - sometimes it's hard to tell except to know it doesn't feel modern day.


Painting by Amanda Blake


I'm always drawn to art that seems to have a story behind it - a deeper layer.  Amanda's paintings make me curious about what's going on with these people.  Who are they?  Where are they going?  What's their story? 



Painting by Amanda Blake

I also happen to love striped tights and she seems to as well!  Each year I visit the art fair - Amanda's booth is the one I have to see.  Although her paintings are out of my price range I always pick up a post card and say hello to her.  In person she seems to echo the mood of her paintings - she's quiet and usually is wearing a dress that looks vintage. 



Painting by Amanda Blake

And finally I love her paintings because many of them feature people sporting wings!  And yes, sometimes the wings even look dirty.  My mom and brother noticed this feature once and pointed it out to me and ever since it's become a family joke that "Erin likes angels with dirty wings".  
Here's hoping that Amanda keeps making her beautiful art.  It's an inspiration to me - dirty wings and all!

1 comment: