Thursday, December 23, 2010

Favorite Books 2010

I love a good book.  There's few things better to me than having the luxury of uninterrupted time in a cozy corner with the book of my choosing.  Throw in a warm beverage and I can be content for hours.  Unfortunately my life is in a season which affords me few stretches of quiet time to devote to this activity.  I get most of my reading in these days just before drifting off to sleep - in fact often I drop my book because I've fallen asleep reading! 
Over the past two years I've enjoyed being part of a book club.  Once a month we meet to discuss whatever book has been chosen by respective members.  Because of this group I have read several books that I wouldn't have picked up on my own and even among those that haven't been my favorite's I've been able to appreciate for one reason or another.  But since this post is about favorites I will share those!

Amy and Isabelle
    by Elizabeth Strout

This was my pick last January for book club.  I had read Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout and loved it.  Although I didn't enjoy Amy and Isabelle quite as much as Kitteridge it still was an engaging and interesting read for me - one of those stories that's hard to put down.  It tells the story of a single mother and her daughter set in the 60's. 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

by Betty Smith

This is the classic story of a girl growing up during the great depression in Brooklyn.  I enjoyed the time period, descriptions and settings most of all in this book.  I love books which transport me - and this one definately did that.

The Help

by Kathryn Stockett

I didn't want to pick up this book because EVERYONE loved  it and "sometimes"  I rebel against things that are so wildly popular.:)  But this book is amazing  - and yes I was completely sucked in from the first couple pages.  It helped that it takes place in one of my favorite time periods (the early 60's) and conjured up lot's of images from my favorite t.v. show Mad Men.  This is a book I might even like to read again - it's that good.

Fall on your Knees
by Ann Marie MacDonald

This is quite the story.  It's dark and eerie and will make many people uncomfortable.  I happened to love it!  The way the author weaves the story and words together is so different and unique that to me it's like a piece of art.  Beautiful.

And last the only non-fiction in my list!  This book was just given to me and I'm devouring it!  I'm thouroughly enjoying it and already know it will become a stand-by reference type book in my library.  Oh, and even though I just started it I'll most likely be done or almost done by 2011.  So  - it qualifies....

The Gifts of Imperfection

by Brene Brown

Favorite quote so far in the book:

"Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it.  Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love, belonging and joy-- the experiences that make us the most vulnerable.  Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light."






No comments:

Post a Comment