Tuesday, December 7, 2010

O Christmas Tree

OMG - I totally got a fake tree this year!  Can you even believe it?  I live in Oregon - the land of the plentiful tree and  - yep I got a fakey.  And guess what?  I am LOVING my "plastic" tree!  Shhh - don't tell the neighbors!


So here's the thing.  I never thought I'd get one either.  I have been very staunch and even a bit judgmental in the past about artificial trees.  I am pretty romantic about the notion of going out and cutting one down, the whole "experience" and everything was something I felt needed to happen in order to make Christmas, well Christmas.  So what changed you ask?  Well,  I think mainly it's because I'm tired.  Or maybe it's because I have a relatively small living room in which to house a Christmas tree and I want a tall skinny one and it's next to impossible to find a tall tree that's skinny enough on the bottom to fit in my house.  So picky, and a bit tired.
Given the internal and external responses I've gotten about my choice to get an artificial tree this year I thought I'd do some research on the subject.  Turns out there's really no black and white answer on what's best for the environment.  Actually what's best is to buy a small tree, leave it in the house for a week or so and then plant it in your yard.  Hmmm - maybe I'll try that next time:)  But I did find this pro and con list that I found interesting and pretty true.  I guess the bottom line for me is that I enjoy my little tree, the kid's had just as much fun decorating it as the real one's, and I still get the lovely fresh pine smell from my live wreath above the mantle.   And I'm doing all sort's of other fun and crafty things with all my extra energy from not having to spend an entire weekend chopping a real one down.  yay!
Here's my pretty little tree:



 

"Do I contradict myself?  Very well then, I contradict myself.  I am large.  I contain multitudes..."  ~Walt Whitman

Announcement!  My amazingly awesome son Jake is double digits - 10 today!!  I love you kid - it's so fun to be your mom:)


2 comments:

  1. Yah whatever!! You're too young to give in already! Tsk tsk Girl!
    I'll think about forgiving you.....

    ReplyDelete