Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Digging Deep....

What comes to mind when you hear the phrase "I'm going to get in there and dig deep!"?  For me it conjures up another phrase "Well I'm going to just pull myself up from my bootstraps and keep going!", any one else heard this said before?  Usually it's supposed to be some kind of a motivator when your tired, fried, depressed, at the end of your rope.  You know those times when you feel like you cannot unload the dishwasher one more time, fold (and put away!) one more load of laundry, vacuum the floor, scrub the toilet, go grocery shopping, drive kid's around, or___________(whatever) one more time!  For me, sometimes it's as simple as just the normal stuff, the daily grind and especially this time of year it feels well, uninspiring and very, very exhausting!

It is my opinion that collectively as a culture we are exhausted.  We work hard and play hard and most the time there's not enough hours in the day to accomplish what we feel we should.   We expect a lot from ourselves and even more from our kid's and it's no wonder many of us get overwhelmed, anxious and depressed.  And while there's no quick fix or easy answer I appreciate and am trying to implement Brene Brown's definition of DIG Deep.  She says: " Men and women who live Wholeheartedly do indeed DIG Deep.  They just do it in a different way.  When they're exhausted and overwhelmed, they get:

Deliberate in their thoughts and behaviors through prayer, meditation, or simply setting their intentions;

Inspired to make new and different choices;

Going.  They take action

Honestly I'm still figuring these things out for myself.  What does it really look like to DIG Deep?  For me it can be as simple as giving myself an hour in the middle of the day to rest.  And by rest I don't mean fold laundry while I watch a movie.  No, I mean focus on ONE thing whether it be reading, taking a nap, watching a show, listening to music, taking a walk or just sitting down to eat lunch.  Just in typing this out I worry that I sound lazy or indulgent!  But it's important to be kind to ourselves, to build up these internal reservoirs of strength so we can love our families and give to the people in our lives. 

Anyway  - these are my thoughts for now!  And this week I will be FORCED to rest because I'm having a small out patient surgery done (treatment for my varicose veins - I know glamorous right?!) that will require me to be IN BED for a whole DAY.  I can't believe it.  More on that to come....


p.s.   I am loving this print from Jen Lemen right now!:)  

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting in a class by Graham Cooke on his fav subject: REST. So funny to come by your blog during class and read this post! Physical rest is mental and emotional rest. very important to include in your day. Here is what I was posting on our school Facebook before I came by your blog..............

    DeeperSchool SupernaturalLife ‎"-REST allows you to touch intricate and unique treasures of God's character.
    -REST displaces fear & anxiety.
    -God is incredibly biased towards me in every situation, even buying my house!
    -Use that bias that you have in God's favor.
    -You must enter situations in an attitude of REST. It makes you unbeatable!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh - yes! My favorite is "rest displaces fear and anxiety" - how true and easy to forget or minimize!

    ReplyDelete