Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Small Experiment...

As I've mentioned before I'm currently taking an online course based on the book "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown.  So far the class has been pretty easy and not too invasive but today we were prompted to voluntarily take a week off from engaging in an activity that we may use to numb.  Crap.  It's one thing to talk about this stuff but quite another to be asked to actually do it. 
So I've decided to be fairly kind and gentle with myself and give up something that's not too terribly hard for me to give up:  Facebook.  Five days without looking at the *wall*.  Can I do it?  I think I can but I promise to be honest with my blog and let you know how it goes next week. 
And who knows?   Maybe next time I'll try giving up something harder like The Bachelor, sugar or (insert tiny gasp here) thrifting! 

But then again, maybe not....

Musick by Mr. Fish

I am curious to know how much more of ourselves we would really "hear" if we slowed down, stayed with ourselves, and numbed less.  It's an experiment I'm willing to try.

Taken from my class by Jen Lemen ~

This week we are going to examine resiliency and the way that turning down the volume on numbing can actually amplify our sense of personal power and resourcefulness. We live in a culture that offers us a hundred and one opportunities to numb our emotions, every minute of every day. What would happen if we actually stepped away from the things that help us zone out? What amazing resources would we uncover in ourselves as well as the people around us if we gave ourselves a chance to zoom in on what matters most?

So here's to waking up and listening to the music!  Dance on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment