Thursday, March 17, 2011

Love Wins


LOVE WINS. - Available March 15th from Rob Bell on Vimeo.

I have to begin this post by saying that I'm no theologian.  I'm not interested in arguing.  I'm also not concerned with trying to convince others to see things the way I do.   What I am interested in however, is story.  Everyone has one.  I think the conversation is important.

A few weeks ago I heard some buzz about this little video of Rob Bell in which he promotes his new book "Love Wins".  Many, many people are all upset about it.  They are calling Bell a universalist and a heretic.  I can't really talk about the content of this book because I haven't read it (although I would like to), but I can talk about the video and Bell himself. 

For the past few years I have for all intensive purposes been "attending" Mars Hill  - Rob Bells church in Grand Rapids Michigan.  Through the wonders of the Internet I listen to his podcast nearly every weekend and for the most part really appreciate his approach to God, the Bible and Christianity as a whole.  The thing I like about Rob is he's not afraid to ask the hard questions - as this video shows.  But what I really, really like about Rob and what keeps me coming back to him as a teacher is that he's not afraid to leave the questions unanswered.  He's a mystic at heart.  

I think what gets people both Christian and not all crazy and riled up about this video is that we absolutely hate and fear the unknown.  We like our questions answered  - preferably in an attractive box with a big red bow.  It's what religion is based on.  Answers.  Black and white.  In or out.  We like to think we have everything figured out - even God.  We like to assume that we're better, smarter, chosen.   Living with "I don't know and I'm okay with that"....it seems to be very, very difficult.

If you are interested in seeing more about Bells book there's an interview you can watch here.

Happy St. Patricks day all!

4 comments:

  1. I love your writing Erin, truly gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jessica - same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog when I was searching for articles on Rob Bell, my pastor at Mars Hill. I really liked your stance on the controversy of his book- haven't read it yet either, but I can appreciate Rob asks the tough questions that often cannot be answered.

    And since I have been listening/watching Rob Bell and part of the Mars Hill community for nearly five years, I feel that I know his intentions and heart a little better than what critics and CNN may think. Maybe they should read the book and listen to a few MH sermons before they start name-calling.

    Hope you visit our church sometime!
    God Bless,

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie - How fun that you attend Mars Hill! It's a small world after all:) Thanks for your comments and kind words.

    ReplyDelete