Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's all Yours...


The first time I remember hearing about the concept of a "God Box" was in one of Anne Lamott's books on faith.  She described that feeling we all have at times when life seems out of control and immediate action from God would be so helpful.  It's in these moments she grabs a piece of paper, writes down the problem (often times it's as simple as "help"), and sticks it in God's "in-box" or her God Box.  The first time I read this I thought it seemed kind of silly!  But over time the idea has grown on me, and so when my online class suggested this very activity last week I felt ready to give it a whirl.  I found one of my favorite vintage tins and mentally designated it as my God Box.  I figured the next time I needed to send God a request I'd jot it down and pop it in the tin.  After a crazy week and weekend I found it wasn't hard at all to put the "box" to good use, and so a few nights ago I scrawled down some thoughts, stuck them in, and closed the lid.  Amazingly enough, even though my problems weren't gone and over after placing them in the tin , I did experience a feeling of openness or expansion in myself as I surrendered these things and admitted that I needed some help.

I love the way Lamott describes that feeling of letting it go:

Maybe it's about turning one's attention from what's holding us enthralled. Maybe it gives us a little room and a sense of fresh air, and with that comes some kind of healing breath. Maybe it gets us to stop looking in the one direction where we think the mountain is going to rise up before us, and so instead, with our minds free to wander and bob, we notice pathways and even airy glades we hadn't see before. I do not have any idea how it works....

"I do not have any idea how it works" - isn't that true?  I like this simple action of faith. 

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference....

p.s.  If your interested in reading more of Lamotts thoughts on the "God Box" here's a link...



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for being my verbal God Box this morning...I might need to follow suit with an actual box :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing, believe I will also put this into use right this minute. Thank Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Lamott is my favorite author of all time! Great words to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys:)
    Jessica M. - of course!
    Susie - glad the timing was good - I need to use my box more!
    Jessica - ditto on the favorite author! I would love to see her live and in person some day!

    ReplyDelete