Monday, January 21, 2013

Label Jars Not People

Introvert.  I've been labeled an introvert for as long as I can remember.  This label has not been one I've felt proud of.  For me the word introvert has conjured up a dull, anti-social wallflower who has no social skills.
Since beginning the journey of making peace with myself and honoring the truth of who I am,  I've dug into this word introvert and tried to figure out what it really means and how it applies to me.  I've discovered a huge spectrum within the realm of introverts and extroverts.  For example - some friends I know would be thought of as extroverted because they're pretty social and chatty when out with people.  These same folks also NEED space and quiet time to function at their best.  In other words, they are energized by time alone.  Others may seem more reserved socially, yet they don't need time alone to recharge and instead are energized by being with others.
All this to say I've been struggling with the concept of labeling people as introverted or extroverted.  I'm not sure if it's still because I feel being introverted is less valued or what.  I really do believe the culture at large is set up for extroverts and I feel often that as an introvert I have to work so much harder to keep up.  Also, I've found introverts are LABELED more than extroverts.  Or maybe it just seems that way to me.
So to contradict my dislike of being labeled, here are some quotes that resonate with my experience in the world.  Call it introvert if you must, it's just life for me.









1 comment: